Sunday, May 3, 2009

Some progress

Yesterday I glued the joints that I had temporarily fastened. It took a while to get the boat level and straight. My floor is not level - just the ground with plywood laid on top. To get it level I just put a level across it at the transom, the temporary center frame, and then the forward bulkhead. I made adjustments by putting blocks of wood under the boat where needed. Then I had to check for twists. I did this by measuring from the bow to the right corner of the transom, then comparing that to the measurement from the bow to the left corner of the transom - if they are not the same, the hull is twisted. You obviously don't want to glue a twist into the boat. If there is a twist, and I I one, you just grab the transom and twist it in the opposite direction. It took me a few tries, but I finally got it. Putting a nail through the end of my tape measure finally stopped me from having to walk back and forth to the front of the boat to set it on the tip of the transom every time I compared left to right.

190 1/2 inches from the bow to each corner of the transom, on the bottom. Level and straight, I epoxied the joints.

Today I scarphed and glued to pieces of 3/8 plywood which will make up one half of the bottom. What's left from those two pieces after I cut the panel out gets scarfed and glued to another piece of 3/8 in. panel to make the other bottom panel.

Next: fit and glue the keel plank. This is a board that goes straight down the middle of the bottom of the boat. I have to put it in before installing the bottom panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment