Thursday, May 7, 2009

More small bits

Thursday I scarfed the plank for the keelson and notched the transom and forward bulkhead to receive it. I will have to dry fit it and make some adjustments before gluing it up.

I also fastened battens to the hull just above the chine. These are temporary and help to bring the side panels into a fair curve. After the bottom panels are epoxied, these battens will come off.

I had to use some scrap wood I had as the battens and I did not have any that would go the full length of the hull. I had some about 14' I think and they seem to do the trick very well except there is one area near the stem that the batten did not reach and is not fair. It's where I have a scarf joint in the plywood and it sort of caves inward a bit - the result of an imperfect scarf. I think I can add another short batten there and fair it out - I'll figure this out before I attach the bottom panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment