Monday, May 18, 2009

Flipped!

Well I got the second bottom panel glued on yesterday. This afternoon, I was going to wait on some help from some friends to turn it over, but when I picked up one side to test the weight, I just kept lifting and next thing I knew I had the boat resting up on its side. I went ahead and finished turning it. Fortunately, nothing cracked - at least not that I heard.













Then, I noticed a problem. You can see here that the temporary center frame is not quite centered. It looks a bit worse in real life than in the the pictures.










I measured each side from the chine to the keelson. One side measured about 29 7/8 inches and the other side was about 29 5/16 inches. An eighth or less I can live with. But 9/16 is more than 1/2 an inch and this seems like it would result in a severe twist being built into the boat - it may have already happened.

I clamped the bottom of the center frame to line it up with the center of the keelson and this helped. I think that brought it within a 1/4 inch. I don't want to glue the side panels to the bottom until I either fix this or determine it does not matter. I'm gonna need some input from others on this one.

I took the same measurement (chine to keelson) at the bow and stern and detected no noticeable difference - they seem to line up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment