Thursday, May 14, 2009

Glued one bottom panel

I shaped the keelson some more to improve the joint between it and the bottom panels. I glued one side using epoxy thickened with cab-0-sil. This was my first experience with cab-0-sil. I have used wood flour (really fine sawdust) and microballoons. The cab-o-sil is supposed to be the strongest and most difficult to sand of the three. It is a very fine powder, very white in color, and very light weight.

I was considering gluing both bottom panels tonight, but after putting the first one on I decided I'll probably wanted to fill some of the gap I left between it and the keelson tomorrow. I thinking I should have put more epoxy in some areas and I will be able to access these while the other bottom panel is off.

Also, I had a comment on my post from yesterday suggesting I put the boat up on saw horses so I could get under it and clean up any epoxy squeeze out. I tried to respond by posting another comment, but I couldn't figure it out. What I was going to say is that if I raised the hull too high, I would have difficulty accessing the bottom of the keelson on the outside of the hull which would make everything much more difficult. On the other hand, raising it enough that I could crawl under and do the clean up should be feasible. I decided to go forward without raising the hull, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment