Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Second bottom panel rough cut


I cut out and rough fit the second bottom panel. Now I've got to figure out how I'm going to epoxy them to the keelson (the board running inside down the centerline. I was thinking I would just put a bunch of thickened epoxy on the keelson and then set the bottom panels on top of that and put screws in it to hold it while the epoxy hardens. Problem with that is, I can't see where extra epoxy may be needed or where less will be. Plus, I could end up with an epoxy mess on the inside bottom of the boat. Because I won't be able to see it until after the epoxy hardens, this could be a major pain in the ass to clean up.

There must be a better way. I'll have to contact the other BRS builders and see how they proceeded here.

I thought I'd take a better photo of my rowing skiff that keeps getting cut off in the other photos. I need to take that one out for a spin. I still haven't put the finishing touches on my oars.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not raise the boat up on a couple of saw horses? Then you can get underneath the boat and clean up the epoxy squeeze out when you screw the bottom on.

    ReplyDelete