Sunday, June 28, 2009

Seat sides, outwhales, outer stem - a lot of work!

In the past couple of weeks I've cut the seat sides to shape, joined them with butt joints, and epoxied and fiberglassed them into place. The last step, epoxying and fiberglassing, was the most time consuming. All the joints require thickened expoy - you can see there are many joints - to the transom, the bottom, the side bulkhead, the stringer between the side bulkhead and seat side, and the forward bulkhead. I failed to get a picture of the framing for the seat sides. It was not difficult to cut and fit all these pieces, but work on the rest of the pieces for the seats could not proceed until these were glued and cured.

This photo shows the outwhale and outstem dry fit. These pieces are yellow pine. I cut the gunnels out of two pieces and then scarfed them to get the full length.











The rest of the photos show the finished work. I took about 3 hours to do each seat side - just the epoxy and fiberglass work. I did one side one day and the other the next day. I am please with the results. My fiberglass and epoxy work is not flawless, but it is pretty neat.






















The outwhales and outer stem took about one hour to glue up. It was in the 90s yesterday when I did these pieces. I sweated a lot, but because the humidity was only around 55 %, it was not too bad. Which leads me to the following conclusion: I don't care what they say in Phoenix, dry heat is nowhere near as bad as humid heat! It actually felt very nice with a breeze yesterday.




It surprised me how long these steps took.

No comments:

Post a Comment