Monday, June 8, 2009

Misc.


This is the piece of wood I am planning to use for the outer stem (the very front of the boat - the part that will like hit docks and various other obstructions). It is old growth yellow pine (I hope it's longleaf, but I can't tell). It is completely saturated with sap and very dense. I have to do some research to determine if I need to treat its surface before I glue it on. I've read that with some "oily" woods like teak and white oak, you're supposed to wipe them down with some chemical before applying the epoxy in order to get a proper bond. I don't know yet about pine sap.

It's not easy to see in this photo, but the bottom of the side stringer (the lower horizontal piece) was originally flush with the bottom of the piece running horizontal across the transom. This was incorrect and so I had to partially remove it and re-glue where it lies now. Fortunately, this was not too difficult. I just chiseled it loose from the side. I did manage to rip one layer of the plywood from the port side. I think the only reason this did not happen on the starboard side is because I did not have a very good glue up there. I was glad to be able to fix this without too much trouble. Had I left it the way it was, the seat would have been too high at the stern.
This picture shows the side frames partially glued in place and how the boat looks without the temporary center frame. The plans have these as solid pieces of plywood. I cut the centers out so that I can utilize the entire length of the storage areas which run almost the length of the boat on either side. I want to be able to fit fishing rods in there.







This photo just show the pine boards I found in my shop. They are both 16' long, yellow pine. The one on the bottom is knot free and very nice. The one on the top is nice but for a few knots. Because the bottom piece is 16' by about 6", I can get all but two feet of both gunnels out of it. I will then scarf the remainder from the top piece, cutting so as to avoid the knots.





No comments:

Post a Comment